Saturday, August 20, 2011

For My Friend Charlie....

I've never been that good at expressing feelings through talking. I've always done it through writing, and it has always made me feel a little better, so I'm going to see if that I apply that logic to help a friend in need.


An old friend of mine from school, Charlie, just lost his mother. I don't know the circumstances around it so I have no idea if she was suffering or not.


I remember the summer before Charlie came to Hartford, we were recruiting for STN and all I remember seeing was Charlie's name on every sign up sheet we had. I remember asking the d-board, "who the hell is this kid?" I was concerned we had a stalker. I was a bit wrong.


He joined the organization and was instantly a hit, basically because he had passion like nobody I had seen before and he was honestly talented. I was obligated in school to say every reporter we had was good, but let's be honest, they weren't. Charlie was. And he loved it. He worked hard, impressed us all, and was friendly. He joked around a lot, always had a smile on his face and was fun to be around.




He worked so hard that after only one year, he was elected News Director. And I honestly was really excited to come back and work with him. And naturally, after only a few weeks, Charlie got the unfortunate news that he couldn't stay at the school and had to leave.


I have one memory that sticks out in my mind, and that was his going away party, and how you could tell how many people liked him. At that party, EVERYONE from STN was there, people who, in a million years, wouldn't hang out together outside of the office, were all there to say goodbye to him. It was one of those things that stuck out in my mind.


Even after he was shipped down to Florida, he still kept in touch. When he came back to play a show or visit, he would always let everyone know so we could see him. OH, and of course, the night me and Ilene went to see Alex's roller derby bout, and Charlie and his friend Kevin were there. We ended up hanging out that night, driving around Morristown and getting pretty freakin lost. That was awesome. Sorry, sidetracked.


Anyway, I get sad because Charlie was plenty of depressing statuses and stuff and I just want something good to happen for him. I look around and see so many good things happening to people who don't deserve it, and to someone who truly does deserve it, nothing.


Charlie, I'm so sorry about your mother. Keep your head held high though buddy. You have been an excellent friend to everyone and I know you will be rewarded for it soon.


And if you need us, you know your STN family will always be there for you. Stay strong, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment